Robert I. Rotberg
is a frequent commentator on conflict and conflict prevention in the developing world, especially Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean, on failed and fragile states, on good governance and encouraging good governance, on genocide and ethnic cleansing, on corruption, and on specific civil wars and other contemporary issues in Sudan, Kenya, Rwanda, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Somalia, Burma, Sri Lanka, and Haiti. He has also created the Index of African Governance.
Positions and Appointments
President emeritus, World Peace Foundation; Director, Harvard Kennedy School Program on Intrastate Conflict, 1999-2010; President, World Peace Foundation, 1993-2010. Founding co-editor, Journal of Interdisciplinary History, 1970-present. Professor of Political Science and History, MIT, 1968-1987, Academic Vice President, Tufts University, 1987-1990; President, Lafayette College, 1990-1993.Chair, Zimbabwe Policy Study Group, Center for Strategic and International Studies, 2011-present; Associate Fellow, Geneva Centre for Security Policy, 2011-present.
- Council on Foreign Relations
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- Hon. Trustee, Oberlin College
Recent Opinion Articles
Click on the titles below to read the articles.
- “Putting Somalia into an AU Trusteeship is the Only Option,” Think Africa Press, December 1, 2011
- “Ousting Al-Shabaab in Somalia,” Think Africa Press, October 27, 2011
- “Who Killed Solomon Mujuru?,” Think Africa Press, September 13, 2011
- “Let’s Have a Good Look at Those Redistricting Maps,” Boston Globe, August 6, 2011
- “Protests Erupt in Malawi,” Think Africa Press, August 4, 2011
- “Zimbabwe’s Succession Crisis,” Think Africa Press, Jun 2, 2011
- “Preventing Piracy Begins on Land,” Boston Globe, Feb 27, 2011
- “Time to Nix Gerrymandering,” Telegram.com, Jan 14, 2011
- “Mugabe Doesn’t Need An Excuse,” ForeignPolicy.com, Dec 28, 2010
Books and Articles
Author of books on conflict and conflict resolution, African, Asian, and Caribbean politics, and more.
- Mass Atrocity Crimes: Preventing Future Outrages (2010)
- Corruption, Global Security, and World Order (2009)
- “Worst of the Worst”: Dealing with Repressive and Rogue Nations (2007)
- A Leadership for Peace: How Edwin Ginn Tried to Change the World (2007)
- Building a New Afghanistan (2007)
- Governance and Leadership in Africa (2007)
- Israeli And Palestinian Narratives of Conflict: History’s Double Helix (2006)
- Battling Terrorism in the Horn of Africa (2005)
- When States Fail: Causes and Consequences (2004)
- State Failure and State Weakness in a Time of Terror (2003)
- Ending Autocracy, Enabling Democracy: The Tribulations of Southern Africa 1960–2000 (2002)
- Peacekeeping and Peace Enforcement in Africa: Methods of Conflict Prevention (2001)
- Truth v. Justice: The Morality of Truth Commissions (2000)
- Creating Peace in Sri Lanka: Civil War and Reconciliation (1999)
- Burma: Prospects for a Democratic Future (1998)
- War and Peace in Southern Africa: Crime, Drugs, Armies, and Trade (1998)
- Haiti Renewed: Political and Economic Prospects (1997)
- Vigilance and Vengeance: NGOs Preventing Ethnic Conflict in Divided Societies (1996)
- From Massacres to Genocide: The Media, Public Policy and Humanitarian Crises (1996)
- The Founder: Cecil Rhodes and the Pursuit of Power (1988, new ed. 2002).